Denver Makes Electric Vehicle Charging Easy
Denver strives for environmental sustainability, and part of its Greenprint Denver initiative involves supporting permitting, parking and charging stations for electric vehicles (EVs). The city maintains data on EV charging stations throughout the city and offers it in several downloadable or interactive formats.
Denver’s efforts have been bolstered by the Charge Ahead Colorado program, which aims to increase the availability of easily accessible, free public charging stations statewide.
Interest groups, such as the Denver Electric Vehicle Council, host regular gatherings and discussions focused on the EV trend. And area businesses offer consultations on installing residential EV charging stations.
Whether you’re exploring Denver’s cultural offerings, traveling to or from the city, or just running errands, here are a few standout charging stations in this green city:
1. Power up while you enjoy a play. Whether you’re seeing a play or taking a class, there are two new public charging stations that you can plug into when you visit the Denver Performing Arts Center. Just head up to level 4 and you’ll spot the stations. There’s another one at the nearby Denver Cultural Center, too.
2. Take in art and a charge. If you spend the day exploring the Denver Art Museum’s collection of more than 70,000 works of art, be sure to park on level 3 of the garage to charge your car while you explore. Want to save on admission? The museum offers free general admission on the first Saturday of the month. And if you’re a museum lover, the nearby Denver Museum of Nature and Science also has a few charging stations available to guests.
3. Plug in and read. Denver is working hard to outfit its libraries with brand new charging stations for patrons. The city has been laying conduits for charging stations at new libraries for the past year.
4. Fly up and fuel up. Next time you pick up a friend from the airport or fly out for a quick trip, be sure to charge up at the East Terminal at the Denver International Airport. Here, six Juicebar charging stations are available for free charging.
5. Stations in the suburbs. If you find yourself in Lakewood, a nearby suburb of Denver, fuel up at the local City Hall. This location recently opened a free EV charging station. You can track it down (and other car charging ports) by visiting chargepoint.com and searching “Lakewood.”
6. Fill your car, while you fill a prescription. In addition to grocery stores, charging stations have been popping up across Denver Walgreens pharmacy locations. There are at least four stores equipped with EV charging stations. Although they’re not mentioned individually on the Walgreens website, you can track down these (and other car charging ports) by visiting chargepoint.com and searching “Denver.”
Know of others? Tell us in the comments!
Recommended by the Editors:
- Denver Renters Resources Decoded
- Denver and Lakewood rank highly on America’s Best Drivers Report
- Kayaking in Denver: Loading, Securing and Transporting Your Vessel
Keep your vehicle’s coverage up-to-date. Contact a Denver-area Allstate Agent to talk discuss your auto insurance policy.