Is It Safe to Cross the Street in Phoenix?
The city of Phoenix has announced a commitment to an overall 10 percent reduction in pedestrian crashes, injuries and deaths by the end of 2016.
And it has put in place a pedestrian safety action plan that will reconfigure streets with paved shoulders, more sidewalks, better illumination and specialized crossings. One example of these improvements are HAWK crosswalks, which are activated by a pedestrian and stop traffic just long enough for a person to cross (they don’t hold up traffic as long as a conventional traffic signal).
Pedestrian Safety Tips
In the meantime, to stay safe as you walk, consider the city of Phoenix’s safety tips for pedestrians:
- Always walk on the sidewalk. When there are no sidewalks, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic, so drivers will be able to see you.
- Cross streets at crosswalks, signals or corners.
- Stop a safe distance from the curb, and then look and listen for traffic.
- If a parked car is blocking your view, step to the front of the car, look left, look right, and then look left again before crossing.
- Push the “Pedestrian Walk” button for the “WALK” signal. It will give you more time to cross the street.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing. Be sure the drivers see you.
- When walking at night, wear reflective, bright or light-colored clothing.
Safe Driving Tips
It’s also important to stay aware as a driver. Here are pedestrian safety driving tips from Mesa officials:
- Wear sunglasses to avoid glare.
- Keep your windshield and glasses clean.
- Give pedestrians the right of way in a crosswalk, even if the crosswalk is unmarked.
- Look for pedestrians stepping out from between parked cars.
- Look for pedestrians before you enter or exit a driveway. Pedestrians might be less alert here than when crossing streets.
- Use side windows to look around you before backing up. Checking mirrors is not enough.
- Take extra care around buses, especially school buses.
Recommended by the Editors:
- How to Get Your Pool Ready for Summer
- Self-Storage Tips: How to Protect Your Stuff In Extreme Phoenix Heat
- Phoenix Police Reveal Top Home Security Tips
Looking for driving safety tips? Visit the Allstate.com Tools and Resources section for more.